Recipe by @white.blank.space in collaboration with grabease.
✔️1 tinned (4.4oz) sardines packed in water, drained (low sodium or no-salt-added)
✔️1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
✔️1 tsp minced garlic
✔️1/4 cup breadcrumbs
✔️pasta cooking water
✔️1 cup pasta (or more)
✔️juice from lemon to taste
✔️(optional) grated parmesan cheese for topping
- Cook 1~2 cups of Fusilli pasta until soft. Sardines sauce will be enough for 2 cups of pasta, but since most of the nutrition is in the sauce, I prefer to use 1 cup of pasta. Save 1/2 cup of pasta cooking water.
- Remove the backbones of the sardines. Mash the sardines with a fork.
- Heat olive oil and minced garlic in a pan. Once the oil starts to bubble, cook for about 30 seconds till garlic is fragrant.
- Add sardines and cook for 2 minutes while mashing them further with a wooden spoon.
- Add breadcrumbs, pasta cooking water (to your desired thickness), and pasta. Mix well and remove from heat.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice to taste and top with parmesan cheese if desired.